- Nyaa.si - torrent tracker with raw anime, this is the best place to get anime. I recommend you use qBittorrent!
- zoro.to - anime streaming site where you can turn off subtitles and switch to Japanese 日本語 audio.
- B9GOOD - you can stream raw anime here.
- Anime-Raws - you can stream or download raw anime here. They are all MEGA links, and MEGA supports streaming video.
- Itazuraneko Anime Library - collection of anime, itazuraneko.
- Animelon - stream anime with Japanese subtitles.
- ※ AnimeCards - Subtitles - Goes over how to get Japanese subtitles and how to sync them for the video.
- Crunchyroll - it's free but with ads. You can turn off subtitles.
Movies & TV Shows (J-drama)¶
- Google Drive folder full of J-Drama - (password for .zip/.rar archives:
- Bagikuy - j-drama download links.
- Nyaa.si - has some jdrama.
- Rakuten Viki - stream some J-drama.
- MyFlixer Japan - stream Japanese TV shows, lots of anime here though.
- Minidrama - MKV downloads for J-drama.
- Raredoramas - site for collecting rare J-Drama
- Japanese Live TV Streams
- Japanese Live TV Streams 2
- Japanese Live TV Streams 3- use a VPN.
- Terrace House BGND - Download links for raw Terrace House BGND
- ABEMA - Watch ABEMA Japanese TV. You need a Japanese VPN if you are outside of Japan though.
- Some Japanese TV Shows on BiliBili
- Crunchyroll (free with ads) - some j-drama on here.
- Itazuraneko Manga Library - Simple and clean collection of manga. Lots of manga on here.
- Archive.org 2019 Archive - Archive of some manga.
- BilingualManga - Yomichan compatible & one-click translation.
- Manga Google Drive - Google Drive folder with some manga.
- Nyaa.si - raw manga torrents, there are a LOT Of manga here.
- LoveHug - Read manga online 1
- Manga1000 - Read manga online 2
- Rawdevart - Read manga online 3
- Kissaway - Read manga online 4
- Komiraw - Read manga online 5
- MangaToshokanZ - Read manga online 6
- Tonari no Young Jump - Read manga online 7
- Sousenkyo - Read manga online 8
- Osoroshiya - Read manga online 9
- Kodansha Comics - Read manga online 10
- S-manga - Read manga online 11
- Sai-zen-sen - Read manga online 12
Scan websites usually have the best collection but can be a pain to download from, I have listed them below.
Use a debrid service to generate premium full speed download links!
- A-zmanga - Has the most stuff. You need a debrid service though.
- DLRaw - Is starting to catch up to A-zmanga. You may need a debrid service though.
- JPDDL - A-zmanga clone
- Manga314 - A-zmanga clone
- CMCZIP - A-zmanga clone
Light Novels and Literary Texts¶
- Itazuraneko Old Novel Library - Used to be called "DJT Library" - I like this page because you can sort by genre, kanji count etc and you can easily get download links and read it online. Around 2000 books.
- Itazuraneko New Novel Library - The new DJT library, but no sorting and many NSFW works. Around 8000 books.
- Itazuraneko Extended Ebook Novel - epubs only. 10000+ books.
- Boroboro - EPUBs of series not on itazuraneko.
- Syosetsu Web Novels - Web novels. In contrast to itazuraneko and boroboro, which has retail books, this has only web novels / 二次創作 (fanfiction)
- Kakuyomu - Like syosetu.
- Aozora Bunko - read Japanese classics. Books go on here if the author has died more than 50 years ago.
- ※ ッツ Ebook Reader - Supports EPUB and HTMLZ. 縦書き by default. I love this reader.
Visual Novels & Games¶
- Nyaa.si - Nyaa.si has some visual novels, but you best use Sukebei.nyaa.si (18+)
- Itazuraneko Visual Novel Archive - Visual novel direct links
- RyuuGames - Has a ton of visual novels.
- RyuuBlogger - Also has a ton of visual novels.
- Anime-sharing - Has the most visual novels out of everything here. But you need an account and also a debrid service, and you need to search across duplicate threads to download anything from here. See here for premium leeches.
- CraneAnime Upload List - Direct links to visual novels
- Sukebei Nyaa.si - 18+ version of nyaa.si which should have a few visual novels.
- Visual Novel Recommendation Lists
- Itazuraneko Retro Game (PS2, PSP, NDS etc.) Archive - Nint#ndo NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, GB, GBC, GBA, NDS, Sony PS1, PS2, PSP, Sega Master System, Genesis, Dreamcast, Saturn and NEC PC-98 games.
- r/roms megathread - has more roms than the other sites
- CDRomance Japanese PSP Games - PSP games
- CDRomance Japanese PS2 Games - PS2 games
- Softcobra Nint#ndo Sw!tch Games - Nint#ndo Sw!tch R#Ms
- RoyalRoms (GB, GBA, GBC, N64, NDS, Sega | Sort region by "Japan")
- Emuparadise Workaround Tampermonkey Script - You can still download from emuparadise!
Audiobooks & Podcasts¶
- Itazuraneko Audiobook Library - The 0 yen audiobooks from Audible.
- Audiobook Collection #1 - More audiobooks
- AuDee Podcasts
- Kitsunekko Japanese subtitles for anime - Avoid kamigami, they don't know Japanese and their subtitles are wrong.
- Itazuraneko Japanese subtitles
- JP-Subbers drama subtitles
- BritVSJapan Repo - From Netflix.
- Nekomoe Kissaten
- Fully Automatic Retiming of Subtitles
- Yourei.jp The World's Largest Japanese Sentence Search Engine
- Massif - Uses syosetsu novels as its source.
- Immersion Kit
- Youglish - improve your pronunciation
- Kotonoha Corpus
- BCCWJ Search
- NWJC Search
- BritVSJapan Repo- Use the Repository search feature)
- SentenceSearch - You can also grab audio for the sentences here!
- Jisho.org - From tatoeba project.
- ※ AnimeCards - the definitive. Use this.
- Audio cards on Mac - Based on an older method of AnimeCards but shows you how to get the setup working on a Mac.
- Anime cards in under 10 seconds with MPV script
- stegatxins0's super fast mining guide
- ...and video
Yomichan, a browser add-on that allows you to look up Japanese words easily.
- Yomichan (Chromium and Firefox browsers) - You MUST have this, or else what are you even doing?
- Tutorial: click here
- UPDATE JUNE 2021: shoui Yomichan Dictionaries Collection
- Every dictionary explained in the text file.
- Jisho (bilingual) - Beginners use this. Bog standard Japanese to English dictionary search based on the JMdict project.
- Weblio EJJE (bilingual) - Beginners use this, Japanese to English dictionary made for Japanese people.
- Eijirou on the WEB (bilingual) - Beginners use this, Japanese to English dictionary made for Japanese people. Useful for example sentences.
- Sakura-Paris Free Kōjien Search - Says koujien but it has every major epwing dictionary. Possibly using EBWeb or something. My top pick.
- Weblio (monolingual) - Uses 実用日本語表現辞典, 大辞林 第三版. The dictionaries this site uses are usable in my Yomichan and MDX dictionary pack.
- Goo (monolingual) - Uses デジタル大辞泉. The dictionary this site uses is usable in my Yomichan and MDX dictionary pack.
- 日本語俗語辞書 (monolingual) - Monolingual slang dictionary.
- Fuseji - uncensor 伏せ字 (i.e. words with 〇)
- Forvo - Search for a word and hear it pronounced by a native speaker
- OJAD - pitch accent dictionary.
See Applications (Mobile) section for mobile apps.
Contains the most up-to-date dictionaries such as 新明解国語辞典 第七版 (Shinmeikai 7th Edition) and 大辞林 第三版 (Daijirin 3rd edition)
- shoui MDX Collection (Japanese)
See Applications section for an MDict (MDX) reader.
Contains older but better known dictionaries such as 新明解国語辞典 第五版 (Shinmeikai 5th edition) and 大辞林 第二版 (Daijirin 2nd edition)
- shoui EPWINGs Pack (Compact Edition) - best for mobile users - 117MB
- shoui EPWINGs Pack (Standard Edition) - best for computer users - 2GB
- shoui EPWINGs Pack (Full Edition) - for those that want it all - 9GB
See Applications section for an EPWING reader.
- Kindle Dictionaries - Made by epistularum(エピス)#9370, includes StarDicts too.
- ※ Anki (Windows, Mac and Linux) - Spaced repetition flashcard program. A must have.
If you’re gonna use Anki, then Read The F#cking Manual, it will make your life easier. https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html
- EB - An EPWING and MDX Reader (Windows, Mac) - My favourite EPWING and MDX reader.
- Qolibri, an EPWING reader, (for Linux) - I know it has a Windows version too, but EB is just nicer.
- Textractor - for copying text from visual novels.
- KanjiTomo OCR for Manga/LN Scans - Requires Java (Oracle, not OpenJDK)
- Capture2Text (Windows) - recommend download better tessdata from the tesseract github for more accurate results.
- Gazou OCR (Linux)
- ※ mpv - a free, open source, and cross-platform media player
- ※ mpv: The Best Video Player for Language Learning
- CDisplayEx - most popular comic reader
- foobar2000 - advanced freeware audio player (Windows). Has some cool immersion-helping features like continuing where you left off.
- AnkiDroid - Port of Anki for Android devices.
- Akebi - Bilingual dictionary for Android based on the JMdict project, has cool features such as auto-correction and AnkiDroid integration.
- Takoboto - Bilingual dictionary for Android based on the JMdict project, simple, no special features.
- EBPocket Basic - Port of EBWin for Android devices, this is an EPWING, Stardict and MDX dictionary reader, useful for monolingual dictionaries.
- EBPocket Professional APK - APK of the full vesion of EBPocket.
- 米 jidoujisho - A mobile video player, reader assistant and card creation toolkit tailored for mobile language learners.
- ※ Typhon Reader - An EPUB reader for Android that lets you look up a word with one tap. Also supports EPWING monolingual dictionaries.
- Typhon改 - Fork of Typhon Reader made to work with newer devices.
- Reasily - EPUB reader. No special features but it supports 縦書き (vertical text)!
- Kiwi Browser - Chromium based browser with extension support. You can use Yomichan on this.
- OCR Manga Reader - Manga scans reader with an OCR to look up words. Supports EPWING monolingual dictionaries.
- Tachiyomi Manga Reader (Get the Japanese sources) - Manga downloader/reader. Get the Japanese sources.
- Rin - Adds the iOS "Look Up" feature to Android.
- Kaku - System-wide OCR.
- Google Japanese Input - Japanese input for Android.
- Tae Kim App - Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese app.
- AnkiMobile - $24.99 official port of Anki for iOS.
- Shirabe Jisho - the best mobile Japanese dictionary... based on the JMdict project, ever.
- Tae Kim App - Tae Kim's guide to Japanese app.
- Books (formerly iBooks) - the best mobile ebook reader on any platform. Period.
- Kantan Manga Reader - use OCR to read manga, Yomichan dictionary and EPWING support!
- 10ten Japanese Reader - like Yomichan for iOS.
- EBPocket Basic - Port of EBMac for iOS devices, it is an EPWING and MDX reader, useful for monolingual dictionaries. Transfer dictionary files to the app using iTunes.
- Yomichan - Yomichan is a browser extension that allows you to look up Japanese words with both the meaning and the reading on web pages with ease.
Android users can use this on Kiwi Browser.
- Clipboard Inserter - Used for the texthooking page (MPV and visual novels)
- Language Learning with Netflix - Enhance Netflix for language learning.
Not Japanese related but still a must:
- uBlock Origin - best ad-blocker. Stop using ABP.
- Universal Bypass - Skip annoying short links.
- qBittorrent - best torrent client, clean, open source. Stop using μTorrent.
- Jdownloader2 - A download manager that helps accelerate MEGA and Google Drive downloads. Highly recommend.
- Real Debrid - paid debrid service. You need this to download from scan sites/anime-sharing forum that use terrible filehosts such as Rapidgator and Katfile.
- youtube-dl - download YouTube videos, playlists, channels, etc.
- Tartube - GUI for youtube-dl
- Hakuneko Manga Downloader